The Edmonton Regional Tourism Group (ERTG) was originally formed in 1999 involving 26 municipalities surrounding Greater Edmonton. The purpose is to promote and develop attractions, events, festivals and unique products to visitors and residents, through a variety of partnerships and marketing tools.
Municipal partners include the Counties of Lamont, Leduc, Parkland, Strathcona and Sturgeon; Cities of Fort Saskatchewan, Leduc , Spruce Grove and St. Albert; the Towns of Beaumont, Bon Accord, Calmar, Devon, Gibbons, Lamont, Millet, Morinville, Mundare, Redwater and Stony Plain and Villages of Thorsby, Wabamun and Warburg that comprise Edmonton’s Countryside.
The ERTG was established to provide low cost opportunities for small tourism operators to achieve market readiness and promote their products and/or services. Operators participating in the ERTG include artisans, bed & breakfasts, hotels, farm tours, greenhouses, events, cultural and historic venues, U-picks, specialty stores, farmers markets, unique experiences, golf courses, restaurants and attractions.
Currently 57 members participate in the Edmonton Regional Tourism Group consisting of Economic Development & Tourism professionals, and private industry operators representing tourism business, attractions and events.
The ERTG has demonstrated an outstanding track record of accomplishments that include:
- Recommended Experiences Business Program
- Visit Edmonton’s Countryside Guide
- Development of an Economic Impact Tool
- Current product relationships with municipalities and operators
- Promotion of local events, attractions and businesses
- Incorporation of the ERTG
- Land Use Study
- Networking Sessions
- Current and relative workshops for the Tourism Industry
- One to one business mentoring sessions
- Development of Edmonton's Countryside website
Present partnerships and sponsorships that have supported the ERTG include:
- Rural Alberta Development Fund
- Rural Community Adaptation Program
- Edmonton Tourism
- Tourism, Parks and Recreation
- Travel Alberta and the Edmonton & Area Tourism Destination Region (TDR)
- Alberta Agricultural Societies
- Consil de Developpement Economique de l’Alberta
Alexis Nelson, Manager